Monday, February 16, 2015

I’ve Got the Pinterest Picked For You Blues, How About You?

I started the day by going back to bed with a nice hot cup of coffee and my trusty tablet. I just wanted to sip and pin, slow and easy like... but as soon as my feed loaded that peaceful feeling evaporated and that annoying feeling I've had the last few weeks kicked right in. 

That feeling of being force fed. On my 7" tablet 2 of the 6 pictures on my screen were "Picked for you" and neither one were anything I would pick for myself. Sigh.




I don't remember when I started pinning but I do remember I heard about it on the Etsy forums and back then one had to be invited in order to join. Looking at some of my older boards this morning I have pins that were pinned 3 years ago. You had to have a Facebook or Twitter account to join then.

I say this because I remember what my feed looked like back then. Um, shall we say random?

I have enjoyed how my feed has evolved in what I would refer to as an organic and good way over 3 years. Based on boards and people I have chosen to follow. 

When I thought about writing this post this morning it was mostly because I wanted to make the graphic above to pin on one of my group boards because I wanted a simple way to tell those people I had missed some of their pins and I felt in part it was due to 1/3 of my feed now being clogged up with picked for you items. I knew I should add some sort of disclaimer somewhere in this post so here it is:

DISCLAIMER: This post is a vent. I did not research anything nor did I come up with the 1/3rd number in any scientific way beyond looking at a 7" screen and seeing how many pins were showing on the screen and how many of those were "picked for you". I randomly scrolled and it was never less than 1/4 but was more frequently 1/3rd.

I wouldn't want y'all thinking I'm all vent and no action. I have been sending feedback on a lot of these pins and in all fairness I'm beginning to see a slight improvement. 

One thing I don't understand or like is so many of the "picked for you" pins, are pins I've already pinned or liked? If I try and pin something I've already pinned I'm warned of this by Pinterest in the form of "Psssst looks like you've already added this". If they know that, why are they adding pins I've already liked or pinned to my feed? Ugh.  
At least I do like those though, more often I'm thinking am I on the Popular or Everything feed? WTF and where the heck did that come from?

Ah well, looking at the time I have to end my vent. I have spent all my allotted quality pinning time today writing this post and it's time to go to work~

No comments:

Post a Comment